We have before us an extremely exciting term. With political idolatry crashing and hope deferred making the hearts of those who put their trust in Brexit or Remain sick, God has given the church a wonderful opportunity to shine the light of the gospel into this present darkness.
Can I encourage to please redouble your prayer efforts? And along these lines:
1. Pray above all that we would make much of Jesus in every way possible. He would be our church’s supreme joy and this joy would make Londoners jealous for Jesus.
2. 300-50-1. Please pray for our 2020 vision, to see 300 in regular attendance, 50% of phase 1 of the building project completed (which means we need some financial floodgates to open) and 1 new congregation started by the end of 2020. Pray specifically for a strong core team to form around Dan and Chrissie Skead and for all the planning and preparation the Walthamstow church plant team will be working through this term to be blessed. On the 300 point: please ask God to bring new people to our church on Sundays, through Foodbank, CAP, and especially BLESS (see below) – not to mention you!
3. Pray for the ‘Deer prophecy‘ March 2018 to become reality: “The Father will birth new spiritual life, ready with the ability to stand. He will use you to bring maturity and strength to newborns as you demonstrate how to step out in faith, leap in grace and race with courage.” Pray for our church to own this, and for Stephen, Dan, Howard, and all our other leaders to model it.
4. B.L.E.S.S. This term we relaunch our BLESS witnessing tool among Life Groups. Please pray for people to joyfully join Jesus on mission with greater courage and confidence: praying persistently for power and wisdom about who and how to witness; Listening with care; Eating with those yet to come to saving faith; Serving others with love; and Sharing their gospel story (and thereby God’s greater gospel story) with them. Pray for massive take up, enthusiasm and staying power amongst our church for the BLESS model.
5. Liberating Confession. We have started a God-given series on 1 John 1:9. Please pray that people get hold of the spiritual discipline of confession, go deep with God and experience a closer, more joyful walk with Him as a result. Pray for joy unspeakable and full of glory to be released in our lives, which will manifest on Sundays when we meet, and overflow into the streets of London. Pray for themes like a right fear of the Lord and a greater experience of His love. We’ll be taking communion weekly during this series, please ask God to meet with us in power as we seek to joyfully give thanks for His saving work and commune more deeply with Him.
6. Witnessing events, courses and video. We have some great events and courses coming up this term, like the Building Emotional Health Workshop (11 Oct), Alpha Course (starting 14 Oct), Remembrance Sunday (10 Nov) and our Christmas Services (Carol Service, 15 Dec, 530pm). Please pray that our church would be building and incubating relationships with people they could invite to meet Jesus through these events. Pray for many to come and take a big step toward Jesus through them. Please also pray for us to make the most of the outstanding Chapel promo/vision/identity film, that we would share it with prodigals, and those on the fringe of church, people with misconceptions about church or just curious. Pray for more than 1000 views by the end of the year and for it to be the first step on the journey for many coming to Christ.
7. Roles and Staffing. We continue to seek to build not just a strong staff team but a strong team of servant leaders across the Chapel. Please pray for wisdom and help from God to find, train, release, empower, redeploy, recruit, support, the right people to serve in the right roles in an ongoing way across the whole church.
8. Equip Academy. We’d love to see more people taking advantage of the amazing discipleship courses we run on Sundays. Please join us in praying for greater take up; for more people to be growing faster, deeper.
Thanks so much for making the time to pray. It matters, a lot! Prayer tears down strongholds. Prayer plows up hard ground. Prayer waters gospel seeds. Prayer invites the blessing of Almighty God. And that is what we need. Thank you so much for standing in the gap for Westminster Chapel.